Saturday, May 4, 2013

Project of the Day- Coffee Table

I've been waiting a year and a half to do something to this trunk I bought at goodwill from before I moved out of my parents' house. This trunk has served the purpose of a coffee table, but it was a little low for my liking. Plus, I felt like it was missing a finishing touch.

The plan was to get decorative legs at Lowes, stain them to match my tv stand, and then attach them to the base of the trunk. On the way down the aisle to the legs, we spotted curtain finials that were already pre-finished and seemed sturdy enough for the project. We spotted a deal on $5 finials (they were on clearance). Although, the finials in the picture are more my cup of tea (for $12 for a box of 2). This was our first home project together and everything in my apartment is already mine so I wanted him to be able to have some say and the price was right. We went with the clearance finials.

We went to my parents and rounded up :

  • A saw
  • A drill
  • Small blacks of wood (3x3x1)
  • Screws

The bf used the saw to cut 4 small blocks of wood for each corner of the trunk. He used 2 screws each (going from the bottom, inward) to secure the blocks inside the chest.
Then he used a drill bit smaller than the screw of the finial to make a hole for the finial to screw into. Finally, he screwed in the finials.

Reflection: If I had to re-do this project, I would chose the finials I originally wanted. The ones we ended up with look nice enough, but I think it would have looked nicer with chunkier legs. (After seeing the project complete, I think my bf agrees too). At the same time, I'm really glad we came across these pre-finished finials because it required no drying time!

What do you think about using a trunk as a coffee table? Too vintage? Just right?

No comments:

Post a Comment