Friday, November 13, 2015

Mercury Glass Pumpkin Jar DIY

Mercury glass is still trendy on Pinterest and I've had a can of mirror spray paint for a while now, but I've been waiting for that perfect project to use it on.  After a stop at Goodwill, I found this pumpkin glass jar (a Dunkin Donuts original from the 80's) for $3.
I wrapped it up with simple supplies I had on hand: tin foil, and a plastic bag - held together by some frog tape.
I first sprayed the inside of the dish with a light mist of water.  Obviously, a lot of the mist collected at the bottom, but I sprayed the looking glass spray paint anyway.  When I was done spraying with the spary paint, I would put the dish upside down to let the moisture come out and to make sure not all the moisture was at the bottom of the dish. I repeated this process about 3 times. (The lid was easier, as I didn't have to flip it upside down).
I let my creation dry and removed the plastic, tin foil, and tape.  It's not perfect, but I think that means I did a good job. 
I was just going to let it hang around for Halloween, but gourds are still festive up until Thanksgiving, so this guy is going to stay for a little while longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment