Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Teaching Tip of the Day - Survey for the End of the Year

At the end of every school year, I have students answer a survey from surveymonkey.com.  The survey has questions that pertain to their opinion of my teaching style.  I also throw in fun questions like "What was your first impression of Ms. Carew and was your first impression right?"  

Example of Responses to "What was your first impression of Ms. Carew and was your first impression right?"
"My first impression of ms.carew a young teacher filling in who may of not had a plan on how to teach us but i impression was dead wrong"

"i thought she was too young to teach,thought she was a student herself"

At the end of the survey, I tell students they can write me a note with or without their name giving me suggestions, words of gratitude, comments, or anything.  Not everyone responds to this question (the other questions are mandatory), but the responses I received were very nice to read.  

Touching Responses:
"thank you for all you have done you have been a great teacher this year and im going to miss you <3 you have inspired me in so many ways"

"Ms. Carew You teach me many things that seemed hard. hard I learns to be a better reader and got me ore interested in reading books. I enjoy reading Romeo and Juliet. The best part of the year was the part about Greek mythology. It was the best and still is. Thank you so much for being.my teacher this year."

"Thank you for the knowlege, you made it really easy to learn"

Groupie Responses :) lol
"YOU ARE THE BEST MS. CAREW! I HOPE I GET YOU NEXT YEAR FOR MY TEACHER. I actually learn in your class and enjoy coming to your class every day. I love the way you teach!"

"You are the best teacher ever!!!! i loveeeeeee being in your class and i wish i could have you next year. i dont know if i am going to be but i hope i am. i learn a lot in your class and i actually understand what i am learning!!!! you are very pretty and you wear the BEST! clothes."

These responses were from only one of my Freshmen groups.  I still have 2 more Freshmen groups to go and 2 Sophomore groups to take it.  So far, my results were right where I expected them to be.
Make your own survey for your classes using surveymonkey.com, but here are some things you need to know:
  • Survey Monkey will only provide the responses for the first 100 responders.  Anything beyond that, you need to pay for a membership to see the results.
  • You can only ask up to 10 questions (for the free membership).
  • You need to sign up for a free account.
  • With the free account, it is difficult to print your full results.  If you want charts/etc. you need to sign up for a membership.
  • Cheapest membership is $204 annual fee. (Not cheap enough for us teachers! Unless our schools purchase it for us.)
  • You can make students answer the question the way you'd like by word choice and tone, but think about if you really want to do that.  Your results will be way more rewarding if you know you didn't lead them to say what you wanted.
Surveys are not only a good tool to prepare for the following year and to evaluate the current one, but it is a great way for students to reflect on their own learning throughout the year as well.  This is NOT a waste of time and could be the perfect pick me up or push for next year.



Does anyone know of another survey site that allows printer friendly results without a membership?  Or without an extremely high membership fee?

Pros: No paperwork
Easy to refer back to.
Cons: Can't tell who wrote what based on handwriting.
Students have free range to literally write anything they want, so be prepared!


No comments:

Post a Comment