Monday, June 17, 2013

Teaching Tip of the Day- Free Rewards for High School Students

As many of us wrap up this school year, it's hard not to think of next year. I have been thinking of a reward system for good/model behavior. In the past I have bought trinkets from the dollar store and had students collect two good reward tickets in order to redeem them for a prize. One of their favorite prizes was the "tattoo sleeve". Here is a link to some more reward ideas I had last year.

I have so many things in my personal life to spend money on that I don't want to have student rewards come out of my pocket. In a way, it would be like I would be paying students to behave, when in actuality, students SHOULD be behaved anyway.



List of FREE rewards that secondary students can choose from:
  • Sit in comfy chair for the day
  • Switch seats for a day
  • Listen to headphones during individual or AR time
  • Positive phone call home
  • Positive email home
  • Photo on an acknowledgement wall
  • Draw on the white board/chalk board
  • Free pass for homework
  • Pass for running a teacher errand
You may be thinking that you do some of these things already, and I do too, but I never acknowledged that I allowed these behaviors because of prior good behavior. These rewards will help maintain class order/structure in the classroom while promoting positive behavior all year long. Also, you can start the year with half of these rewards and then keep adding a reward for each new marking period. This will help keep the list of rewards seem fresh and exciting.

How do I implement these ideas?:
I used word to create business cards for each reward. I will try to print the rewards in color on business card paper I already have and keep them in a basket or organizing device such as a binder with clear plastic sheets.

Here are examples of what I have created:






Would you like to do the same with your class? Download these rewards for free at my teacher pay teachers store. (You have to change the information to make it your own. Just fill out the first card and copy and paste it in all the following cards.)

1. Please sign up for free using this link:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Signup/referral:Misscarew

2. Please "follow" my online store.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Christina-Carew

3. Download for free and rate the product and comment on the product. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Reward-Cards-for-High-School-Students-732143

This is my top page! Keep the pins coming!

Want a much trendier Reward Card without having to mess with MS Word?  Download my Reward Cards #2 from TpT.


Think of the headache $3 will save you!

1 comment:

  1. I have a hard time describing my thoughts on content, but I really felt I should here. Your article is really great. I like the way you wrote this information.
    rewards

    ReplyDelete