Monday, June 3, 2013

Project of the Day- Upholstered Headboard

I've been wanting to get rid of my sheet turned headboard/curtain for a while and upgrade to an actual headboard. Reupholstered headboards always looked nice to me, but the price wasn't something I was willing to pay.


If you follow my blog posts, you know I'm a pin-head (like a crack head minus the crack, plus the Pinterest). I have come to blog quite a few upholstered headboards and some pins even came with directions.


See those prices! From $158 - $840!
(Link)

For the prices seen above, I decided to take the leap and attach a 4x8 piece of plywood to the top of my sedan and bring it to my work space: a.k.a. my parents' backyard. In progress photos to come, but here is the final result:


My budget was $30, and I exceeded that by double. I don't know where these other bloggers were shopping for materials, but it sure wasn't Connecticut. Even with coupons and teacher discounts, it was still more expensive than I initially budgeted which made me want to give up in Lowes. I'm glad I didn't though, because even though the project was over budget, it came out beautifully and I am really pleased with the results.

This is what I had to buy:
  • 4x8 foot Plywood $24 (Lowes)
  • Batting for a twin bed $15 (Joann Fabric - it was 40% off the original price)
  • Elmer's Spray Adhesive $7.99 (Joann Fabric)
  • Drop Cloth: $12 (Lowes)
  • I (my dad) had a staple gun and a jig saw already.
Nail Head Trim:
I also wanted to add nail head trim, but this is an expense I am going to hold off on.  After seeing my completed project, I may not even add it at all.  

Attaching it to the bed/wall:
Since I live in an apartment, I can't make too many marks on the wall.  Instead of attaching my headboard to the wall like many have done, or screw it to my bed frame, I just placed it behind my bed tightly.  It shouldn't mark the wall at all because fabric covers all the edges.  I intentionally made my headboard floor length to make sure I could "attach" it this way.  When I move, there will be no hassle with filling holes or using a drill or any of that.  Just lift and go.

You:
Make one for yourself with this helpful link or ask me to make one for you for the cost of materials, labor, and delivery.  It will still be cheaper than those store prices!

No comments:

Post a Comment