Saturday, August 16, 2014

Quick and Easy Lunches for Work

I can plan and pin and buy the items I need to make a lunch all I want, but will lunch actually be made religiously every day? No way!  
For whatever reason, sometimes lunch doesn't make it out the door and by noon, or in my case 11:18 a.m., people are ready to spend the last of their money hiding in their wallets just to buy the kids' lunch consisting of a cheeseburger bun, a slice of cheese, a few scrapings of turkey, 1 tomato slice, and some skimpy white lettuce - plus a side of a fruit (the tiniest apple that is more berry sized than apple sized) and a small carton of milk.  Because lettuce and milk blend wonderfully in stomachs.  Oh I forgot to mention how the lunch is a mere $4.75.  

Forget that noise and prep your classroom now with quick and filling "I forgot my lunch" lunches for those days that are bound to happen.

To microwave:

  • Edamame (if you are lucky enough to have access to a freezer) I recommend the frozen bag from Trader Joes: quick to heat up and pre-salted.
  • Ramen Noodles (not just the cup of noodles, but the actual packets work too.  Will just need a bowl/mug and spoon).
  • Regular Soup (a classic and perhaps an obvious choice, but I didn't want to leave it off the list)
  • Popcorn

Things to eat with Saltines/Ritz/Wheat Thins/Etc:
  • Tuna in a bag/ Tuna in a can (will need a can opener)
  • Jar of Peanut Butter/Nutella/Cookie Butter
  • Soup (from above)
Pre-Made Tuna Salad
Other Snacks:
  • Assorted Nuts
  • Trail Mix (Mix with popcorn?)
  • Olives (might sound weird, but I could eat a whole can of black olives like chips)
  • Fruit Strips
Final Lunch Tip:
At the end of school last year, I found that once I went grocery shopping, it was worth it to divy things up into ziploc bags so that all I had to do in the morning was grab and go.  For example, I bought nuts from Trader Joes and made an assorted nut mix and divided it up and had the bags ready to go in a bowl on my counter.  I also cut up cheese into sections and bagged them, so that all I had to do was grab a bag of crackers too.  Some other fun ideas for lunch that really aren't that crazy to pack are shrimp cocktail and mini kabobs with pickles, olives, cheese, pepperoni, tomatoes, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment