Sunday, May 18, 2014

How to Up-cycle a Round Side Table


Saving furniture, one table at a time.
Someone gave me this table, but you can find tables from:
  • Garage sales
  • Goodwill/Salvation Army
  • Big Trash Nights on the Curb
  • Family Members & Friends who don't appreciate its value any more
I let the table sit for a while, until I recalled a pin that I wanted to recreate. They were both round, but I would use different colors.
Click the picture for the exact directions!  It is important to follow their directions because they will make it much easier to do than what your mind is thinking of doing right now.  Promise!

For my table, I used:
Table (Free)
Sand Paper (Already owned)
White semi-gloss spray paint $4
(I don't recall the specific white color)
Blue 1.25" Painter Tape (already had)
Project Total: $9

In a nutshell, you locate the center of the table and tape it so that the tape's edge is alongside the center line.  From there, you tape at an angle you like, and continue taping all the way down.  This will cover one full half with tape.  You may wonder, why you want to tape the entire half with diagonal stripes.  This way, you don't need to measure in between for the gaps.  The tape practically measures for you.  Once you have all the tape down, peel up every other strip!  This will reveal the gaps that you will spray paint.  A trick I learned while working with spray paint is as soon as you're done spray painting, peel the tape off.  This will allow less peeling along the edges.  Let the first side dry completely.  Then repeat for the other side.



I grew a bit inpatient in between coats of spray paint.  As a result, some paint lifted with the tape. I fixed it by spraying the spray paint into a plastic cup and using a foam brush to paint the issue areas. FYI the spray paint will eat through the cup so throw it out and don't place it on your mother's glass porch table to sit.  FYI if you don't follow my instructions, nail Polish remover takes paint off of glass & mirror surfaces. Not that I know from experience, ma.

Below is the final result! (Which can also be seen unfiltered at the top of this page)
Will you re-create this look for your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment