Monday, October 12, 2015

Free Trash Finds

It was bulk trash pick up again in my area.  Which, for me, meant a week of digging - through trash. Ok, not literally... but I just went around the neighborhoods and looked at the piles at the curb.  Usually, if the trash was stacked neatly, there was a treasure hidden there.  If the pile was thrown about, chances are it really was junk.  For this post, I am going to write a dollar amount for how much each of these items might be worth as is or with a little retouching so I can measure how much I gain by recycling!

One of my favorite scores was this white wooden bench.  The bench could use a touch up with paint, but it works for now with my front porch.  I like how the bench has spokes just like my porch.  It also adds that historic charm I like for my home. Estimated Value: $50


This piece with the mantle ledge will be transformed into a chalkboard dinner menu for my dining room.  Estimated Value with refinishing: $50-$75
This is sort of what I am thinking. (Idea from Pinterest)
I can't take credit for finding this awesome piece, but I have trained my partner in crime's eye to scope out vintage/antique pieces.  This washboard is actually made of glass rather than metal.  From a quick google search, I found that this was likely created/used during the WWII era since metal was on short supply. But I plan on adding this one to my collection to create something I found on pinterest for my laundry room. Estimated Value: $30
Inspiration 

I didn't take a pic of the next item, but I found 4 long, white shutters.  I thought I could sell them to someone to use as a headboard, but then I came across these cool ideas from Pinterest. Estimated Value: $40 

I always keep my eye out for old multi-paned windows because there are so many projects that I can do with them.  I hit the jackpot and found about 6.
I cleaned, scraped, sanded, and painted this guy and created a layering masterpiece.  If you want to see how, click here for my Vintage Window DIY post. Estimated Value after refinishing: $30 (x 6)
And for a really big treasure... I have been wanting a canopy bed/couch for the outdoors all summer, but the price tag held me back.  Most of the pieces I found cost around $900.  Well look what I found - again I should be giving credit to my chauffeur!  It came with the shade too, but I didn't assemble it yet (since we are changing seasons anyway).  All the cushions were still in original plastic bags.  I really don't know why someone threw this out.  It is in brand new condition.  However, it is missing the other half of the semi-circle. Estimated Value: $450
See what I mean? Below overstock.com is selling a similar one for $950.
Estimated Value of all the treasures I found: $800 - $825!!!
Want to see what treasures I found last time? Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment