Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Teaching Tip of the Day- Use Fabric for Bulletin Boards

I'm sure I saw this on Pinterest, but here is my version of some ways to decorate your bulletin boards at school using fabric and other mediums.



I had left over zebra print fabric from a chair I was going to reupholster and never did - so I put it to good use by cutting it to size and using regular pushpins to cover my drab bulletin board.  I'm thinking the theme will be "Wild out with AR reading" so my incoming freshmen can become familiar with our reading program which I put a lot of emphasis on.  Click below for more tips on decorating your dull spaces.

Some other things you can use to decorate the background of your bulletin boards are:
  • Decorative wrapping paper (I get mine from Marshalls or Homegoods) It seems like a good idea to get wrapping paper at the dollar store, but those rolls usually aren't long enough to cover bulletin boards so keep that in mind.
  • Tan Shipping Paper
  • Plastic Party Table Cloths 
  • Poster boards
  • Newspaper
  • Construction Paper
  • Old Sheets
  • Old Curtains
  • Drop Cloth
Also, have you ever thought of adding real frames to your bulletin boards? I framed Arthur Miller and Langston Hughes below by using heavier nails and a prayer.

For a clean cut at the bottom, use a box cutter or knife to create a finished look.  The black table cloth above was done by students so I only offered them scissors.

Have you used anything creative to cover your bulletin boards?  Where do you get the best wrapping paper?

No comments:

Post a Comment