Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Vintage Window DIY

Need a charming piece to tie your home decor together?  Look no further than the trash!  I lucked out and found about 6 of these 8 paned vintage style windows.  

Time: 2 hours
Materials: Window, wire bristle brush, painters tape, white vinegar, paper towels, sanding block, chalk paint, paint brush


As you can see, the windows were very dirty and a little flaky.
I took a bristle brush and brushed away a lot of the flaking paint.  I used my sanding block lightly.  Then I started to clean the window with a white vinegar solution. Look at the top left hand corner pane compared to the others!
Finally clean!
Next, I taped off each pane.  This would have been a lot easier if I used an exacto knife for the corners, but I didn't have one available. 
Then I started painting the front with a white chalk paint.  The paint is Greek Villa by HGTV for LOWEs.  But I made it a chalkboard paint with this recipe that I had leftover from my beautiful french provincial dresser remodel.
All painted.
Peel away tape as soon as you are done painting.  If the paint dries on the tape, the tape may pull the paint when you peel it away.  TIP: If you notice that paint has leaked onto the window... have no worries.  Take a tiny makeup brush and dip it into acetone.  The acetone will remove the paint off of the glass.
I left the back alone because the caulking looked fragile.  I cleaned the back, but didn't paint it.  This was more than me being lazy, it actually keeps the integrity of the vintage/antique feel of the window.
A couple lovely shots of my work inside my home.
Do you see how the light is reflecting off of the clean window panes?  This is a great alternative to a mirror to open up your small spaces.

I am very pleased with this project.  But since I have 5 more windows... I have a a few more ideas up my sleeves (all courtesy of pinterest). Click on the image to go to the pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment