Monday, May 4, 2015

Home Project Tip of the Day: Save Money on Electrical Plates


As part of my upgrade-my-home agenda, I am eliminating the gold electrical switch and outlet plates.  These metal plates can cost $4-$5 each and plastic ones can cost $1 a piece.  If I have 4 in every room of my house, that's 32 plates.  If I replaced them all with plastic plates, it would cost me about $32.  But if I replaced them with the metal plates, it could cost me nearly $130 or more.  I didn't like either option.  Nothing a little spray paint can't fix.

I laid the plates out on top of an old piece of laminate flooring that I am going to throw away anyway.  To prep, I scratched the surface of the plates with a painter's sanding block.
I chose to use Rust-oleum's Satin Spray Paint in "White."  I chose satin because I didn't want a gloss, and I didn't want a flat color that would scratch easily.
I ended up using two boards to lay the plates on to avoid a lot of over spray.
Closer Look.
All done - lighting is a little weird because of the covered porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment