Monday, February 2, 2015

Kitchen Update!!

Hold on to your seats because this is going to be a long post! One of the major renovations in my home is the KITCHEN! I started with a few modern, greasy cabinets and an odd kitchen configuration, dividing the kitchen into 2 rooms. Let's reflect:
(The sink was all the way in the back room)
This was a rough estimate of what I thought it could be. Courtesy of ikea.com kitchen builder.

What needed to be fixed:
1. Rotted floor repaired near new stove location/Floors refinished
2. Appliances (it only came with stove & microwave)
3. Gas line for stove moved/sink pipes 
4. Outlets moved/added
5. Move heat duct
6. Re-configure cabinets
7. Select/add Counter top
8. Tile backsplash
9. Paint
10. Professional cleaning
New floor and cabinets added. Peep my future laundry room in back right.
Coming along. Check. Out. Wine. Rack.
View of Fridge and Pantry Cabinet.  Cabinet above fridge is newly placed.
Countertops!
Italian White Marble with grey veins
I wanted granite, but to keep costs down I had to choose from a lot. This was the lightest, most attractive stone (in my opinion) on the lot. I'll just need to treat it nicely and hope it lasts. 

Floor Day 2 of re-finishing the floors
Day 3 of Refinishing Floors

The reality of living through a renovation: Welcome to my dining room. 
This was my life for 2 weeks or more.
Some day soon, I will need to add backsplash and paint. For paint I'm going to stick with "Revere Pewter" by Benjamim Moore which is the shade I have in every other room of the house. Also, I painted my half bath "Wedgewood Gray."
This inspiration pic helped me decide the color would look nice in a kitchen: 
For backsplash, I'm debating on:
Pro: Mimics marble but shape isn't so typical/ Shape follows lines of wine rack
Con: Not a typical shape
Or
Both with dark grey grout. 
Pro: Simple and Classic
Con: Little interest

These pics helped inspire me for backsplash tile: 

My Kitchen Before & During:
Still during: 
(Floors refinished & wooden post stained to match cabinets)

What's left?
  • Moving heat duct
  • Complete plumbing for sink & dishwasher
  • Fill in cabinet scratches and add more toe kick (panels under cabinets)
  • Add knobs to cabinets that don't have any (Luckily, I found matching knobs on amazon).
  • Paint Walls
  • Add backsplash
  • Professional Cleaning
  • And eventually change light fixture
Two whole months and still no kitchen.  And trying a new diet.  The stress is real.

Stay tuned for a final update reveal and comment with any questions you have about the process since I crammed a lot of details into one post.












3 comments:

  1. I can tell that you're a detail-oriented person, Christina. You made sure that the new kitchen will be perfect. And I like how you considered every product available, compared them, and made sure to choose the best out of the lot. I can't wait for the reveal. Hope you're having fun! Cheers!

    Grady Schwartz @ iDesign

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gary, for reading my blog post and for sharing your comments with me! I appreciate all your feedback. Can't wait to post the big reveal!

      Delete
  2. PristineGreen Upholstery Cleaning takes pride in being among the top upholstery cleaning service providers in NYC, specializing in deep cleaning.

    ReplyDelete