Monday, March 19, 2012

Manage Time Wisely

I am currently in a teaching position which is considered a 32 hour job. However, I don't see how my workload is different than the full time positions, but maybe it is. Either way... I try to complete everything I can during school hours. When I was student teaching, I remember spending an uncountable amount of hours on grading papers, projects, and developing lesson plans. As time goes on, it became easier. However, the best piece of advice I have ever received for teaching is: "Never do anything that a student can do for you."
Often enough there are students who are looking to raise their grade or just want to be back on your good side. Or, you have students who stay for detention. Don't have them sit there while you slave away. Make them not want to come back for a detention; give them work.
Some examples of student labor:
Delivering a note, book, etc. to another teacher in the building.
GOOD (As long as the other teacher is expecting the interuption and as long as the item being delievered isn't confidential. Choose the student wisely based on how long will he/she take in the hallway and can the student afford the miss class time.)
Manually stapling the packets for tomorrow's class because the copier once again is out of staples GOOD (As long as the packets aren't a test or quiz)
Organizing messy areas of the room/Labeling Folders/Hanging up projects
GOOD (This is usually good on half days or days with a messy schedule when few students are in the building. This helps students have more pride in the class because they were involved in making it look nice.)
Entering student grades into software program
BAD (No matter how trustworthy a student is, you never want to compromise another student's education. You want each student to know you take their work seriously and this is communicated by handling gradebooks on your own.)
REWARDS:
I try to reward based on the deed. In the past I gave students a "Good Job Ticket" (yes, even in high school). Once they collected two, they were able to select a prize out of a "prize box." The prize box contained dollar store items and perfume samples, makeup samples, key chain holders, fake tatoo sleeves, etc. Students laughed at the prize box, but they actually did hold on to their tickets in their back packs, wallets, purses, etc. and reminded me when they obatined two tickets.
I also gave extra credit to some students for putting in extra effort in English class.
Currently, if I like what a student does for me, I will enter their name in a raffle for the end of the year. The raffle will be for a movie ticket or two... depending on how funds are and depending on how long the list is.

Just recently, we re-organized a whole shelving unit! It's more practical now, I was able to raise a student's grade, and it just over all isn't an eye sore anymore!
What was the best thing you've ever had a student assist you with?

No comments:

Post a Comment