Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Trader Joes is Affordable


I used to avoid Trader Joes because I didn't think I was fancy or rich enough to enter... until I was exposed to the most delicious cheese ever.  It was a fontane cheese soaked in syrah.  It was so much more up my alley than my usual mozz, mexican, and colby jack.  I had to get this Trader Joes original by taking the plunge and going into Trader Joes.  I joined the club.  I am now fancy too (but still not rich). 

I quickly realized that the prices were actually the same or better than regular chain grocery stores like Shop Rite and Stop and Shop - but the products were better too!  When I say "better," I mean their items are of worldly cuisine and are packaged to my liking.  For example, I just recently bought a bag of 6 peeled hard boiled eggs.  When I used to buy a dozen of eggs, I often didn't use them all and let them go bad.  I have no problem spending $2.99 on already cooked and peeled eggs because I will actually eat all of them.  

I got all of the above items in the picture for $47 which is $2 more than my weekly budget.  This was probably shopping trip #3... At the time this post was written, I have been going for about a month regularly.  Check out the specific items I bought in this one shopping trip below.  

Sushi (approx. $3.99)
Perfect for packing for lunch or dinner - or just eating it at home. 

Fruit (19 cents/banana, strawberries and blueberries vary per week, watermelon, $3.69)
Green Tea and Lemonade $2.69

Veggies, and Sandwhich Items (Tomato Basil Hummus, thin pretzels, pitas, brie cheese, broccoli and cauliflower mix, peppers)  The most expensive item was the turkey which was $4.99, it's kind of chewy though.  I don't recommend it.  

Pita Chips to eat with this strawberry salsa from Pinterest ( approx. $1.99)

Separate shopping trip (some fav. items):

Heat up this soup and make an adult grilled cheese with pita bread and brie cheese! Delicious!

If you've ever made Spanakopita, you know it's a pain to make.  These are about $3.99 and very good. 

A cruel discovery I made on my most recent trip is COOKIE BUTTER. It's the texture of peanut butter, but tastes like a cookie (not choc. chip, but like a ginger bread cookie or snickerdoodle cookie).  Become addicted with me.  Add to ice cream, cookies, toast, pita bread, dessert pizza, apples, straight out of the jar... $3.69

These clusters are without the flakes.  Grab a handful and eat.  Eat as cereal with milk.  Or add to yogurt! $2.99

Will you be attempting to try Trader Joes?  Do you already shop Trader Joes?  What is your favorite item in the store?


No comments:

Post a Comment