Sunday, September 8, 2013

Teaching Tip of the Day - Donors Choose

About a week before school started, I signed up for a class project on donorschoose.org. I decided I would request a class iPad(with case) for students to use (instead of them using my personal iPad).  I didn't think much of the project which cost around $700... I figured "who knows" and "we'll see."  Well, I sure did see! KIA Motors of America sponsored half the cost of the project. Then, my mom jumped on board with a donation and used the code "Inspire" for donorschoose to double her donation.  Then, with the help of other people from the community (who I've never met) we met our goal in only about 2 weeks.


How it works?  You set up a profile for your project idea and information about your students and how they will use the donation.  Then, you go shopping through their affiliate sites and fill a shopping cart with items you want.  These items are what donators pay for.  None of the money goes to you.  And you don't have to order anything.  The website does it for you.


What's next?  I read that it should take about 3-4 weeks for me to receive the iPad.  Then, I need to take photos of the students using it in class and write a thank you letter to everyone who donated. Not a bad price to pay for a whole iPad and case!

I highly recommend you use this site to help your students reach goals that you don't have the funds for.

No comments:

Post a Comment