Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Free Book Source

In my local area, I am lucky enough to have a reading/book/tutoring organization that allows students, teachers, parents, (anyone really) to take donated books for free. http://newhavenreads.org/ There are limited guidelines such as a child can only take 5 books per day. A teacher, however, can take whatever he/she needs.

I sent the organization an email and requested a few certain kinds of books that would get used most often in my classes. I requested the following:

  • Twilight: Breaking Dawn
  • Rick Riordan Books
  • Nicholas Sparks Books
  • Stephen King Novels
  • Any Greek Mythology
  • Big Nate books (for my younger brother)
  • Graphic Novels for Classic Literature

I sent my request in at around 1:00 and immediately heard back from Theresa. I didn't anticipate being in the area until later on in the week, but within a couple of hours I was headed over in that direction anyway and called to see if by any chance I could swing by. She said absolutely and that she already grabbed what she could and put together my box.

When I arrived, my box was ready with a lot of my specific requests. I was very impressed because 1. The service is free and 2. It was ready in a matter of a couple hours. Theresa also told me to feel free to take whatever else I could use. I snagged a few more popular selections and am sooo pleased. I plan on signing up to tutor there in the summer because a program like this should be nurtured.

Here are my books:

No comments:

Post a Comment