Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Reduce Paper Towel Use

Recently, I've noticed how many paper towels we go through. I buy them in bulk at SAMs Club and use the half sheets, but it's still costly and still wasteful. I have decided to implement more cloth rags into my drying and cleaning regimes throughout the day.

First, I bought small dish towels from TJ MAXX in two colors: white and grey. Grey is for cleaning. White is for drying our hands.

I noticed, however, that I had no system in place to keep these towels off the counter. So I purchased a free standing towel bar and a command clip for under the sink. The white towel hangs next to the sink. The cleaning towel is hidden and out of the way.

We still reach for paper towels but less frequently now. 

In addition, I have been purging my closet, and I am going to donate/sell some old clothes, but there were some clothes that had tears or stains. I decided to cut them up and create some rags. I know this isn't a new concept, but if you've been so used to paper towels, you might have forgotten this old practice.

Another idea for quick reach rags is to use left over socks that no longer have a companion. Cut up the center to make a larger rag or leave as is and use as a duster.
I hope implementing these practices help me save more money and help me be more conscious of wastefulness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment